A few years back I made a bbq chicken “skinny” pizza using flatout wraps as a base, which were SO easy and delicious ~ they have remained on of my top pinned and saved recipes to date. While I know flatouts are still for sale, I haven’t seen them nearly as often at my local grocery stores, so wanted to come up with an easy and more universal alternative. (If you linked here from the flatout recipe I am archiving that post, this is the same with a new base — if you find and want to use flatouts, go for it)! I used tortillas as a base for these which is so fun because you can slice and eat like mini flatbreads OR fold up and eat like a taco.
As much as I am a traditional red sauce pizza fan I have really come to love bbq pizza. My fiance doesn’t eat pizza or spaghetti sauce ( WEIRD I KNOW ), but I love him so we get creative and do other sauces a lot ~ or sometimes do our own pizza which probably leads to me eating more but whatever ~ pizza is always worth it, am I right? Another major household staple for me us is tacos, so the fact that these can be eaten either way is a major win win for me! The flavors of the sweet bbq sauce opposite the jalapeno and tenderness of the chicken with crunch of the red onion is such a good combination. Not only that but this is extremely easy and toppings are obviously flexible so it’s a perfect weeknight meal or way to clean up some things in your fridge! Hope you guys enjoy them as much as we do!
BBQ Chicken Mini Tortilla Flatbreads
- 4 flour or wheat blend tortillas 6-8″ diameter
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 chicken breast diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- olive oil salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350′.
- Slice veggies and prepare toppings.
- Lay out a baking sheet with tortillas. (I always add a silicon mat to line my baking sheet but is not necessary with this recipe).
- Dice chicken breast, make sure to use separate board and knife!
- Heat a medium skillet with a tsp or so of olive oil and add diced chicken breast, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, stir and cook until chicken is fully done ( you shouldn’t see any pink) ~ we will be baking the pizza/tacos so don’t fret about them being perfect in the center.
- Use about half the bbq sauce divided up on tortillas (approx 1 tbsp per), spread.
- Add your cooked diced chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese over chicken & sauce (putting the cheese over the chicken will help hold everything together since we are using such a light weight base)
- Add sliced onion and jalapeno.
- Bake for 8 mins.
- After drizzle as much of remainig bbq over top as you would like & sprinkle on fresh cilantro.
- Cut with a pizza cutter and enjoy as thin flatbread OR, my personal favorite, fold up and eat like a taco ~ enjoy!
- If you have another kind of flatbread you want to use up, go for it, just watch baking time if you make a base adjustment.
- If you have precooked chicken, feel free to use that.
- Use any bbq sauce you like, I like using a sweet bbq for this to balance out the jalapeno.
- Don’t love red onion, jalapeno or cilantro? Skip them or use less than I did!
Best . BBQ Flatbread. EVER! – Mary C.
This was so good! I didn’t do BBQ Chicken-Cooked mine about 12mins. Not too crunchy, not to floppy 😜-Charlotte
Taste good for a healthier version of pizza. Used mushrooms and turkey pepperoni. – Lauren M.
It was so good I ate almost all of it before thinking about taking a picture of it 🤤😋 – Jackie