This might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever made ~ no exaggeration. It’s the creative child of three of my favorite chicken sandwiches ~ (1) chick fil-a’s classic, (2) Whataburger’s HBCB (honey butter chicken biscuit) breakfast sandwich, which I can no longer get living in California, and (3) IKE’s deli fried chicken that has both pesto and honey incorporated. This will beat any fast food chicken sandwich you can get and takes only 15 minutes start to finish — does not get much better!
Toasted brioche is one of my absolute FAVORITE breads to use for any burger or chicken sandwich, it’s always the perfect balance of crispy outside soft and chewy inside. You can use any sandwich bread you want but highly recommend you get on the brioche bandwagon if you aren’t already there! Also promise the sauces in this ~as long as you like them individually~ go SO well together, I have to admit the first time I mixed them I was skeptical but the result is heavenly.
Pesto & Hot Honey Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- pinch salt & pepper
- 2 brioche buns
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Preheat oven to 350′ and lay buns out on a baking sheet open so insides of bun facing up.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat adding in your olive oil.
- Whisk egg in one bowl and put breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt and pepper added in another. Take one chicken thigh at a time and put in with egg, dredge through until fully coated and move to bowl with breadcrumbs, do the same until chicken thigh is fully coated and add to pan over medium heat.
- Cook chicken thighs about 7 minutes either side until fully cooked — I always recommend using a meat thermometer if you are unsure if your meat is cooked.
- While chicken is cooking do the following 2 steps:
- Divide pesto amongst your two bun bottom halves and spread — toast at 350′ for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Mix together your honey and sriracha sauce in a small bowl — if you’re using really thick honey you may be best to warm it in microwave a few seconds before stirring sriracha in.
- Assemble sandwich bay laying fully cooked chicken on top of pesto, drizzling hot honey over the top and then adding top bun.
- Quantities provided is enough for two sandwiches, easily adjust if you are making more or less.
- Use any bread you have on hand, brioche is just my favorite!
- If you don’t have breadcrumbs you can mash up croutons or use another fried chicken batter you have per instructions.
- If you hate spicy omit the sriracha!