Stuffed peppers are such a fun, easy, and relatively healthy light meal. We make them pretty often as they’re full of ingredients you can clean out your fridge with, and we get loads of peppers from Jason’s work! ~Quick side bar, my fiance works for a vegetable development company and they have gardens where they are constantly growing and testing varieties, so lot’s of yummy veggies, especially peppers come our way, which is awesome, I don’t even have to do the gardening, ha! ~ Anyway these bbq sauce urkey cheeseburger peppers, drizzled with a bbq mayo sauce are SUPER easy to make and perfect for a light summer dinner!
I’m all about balance in my diet, I try to eat healthy but also try not to go overboard on every recipe as that is what works best for me to maintain a lifestyle of moderation. If you are trying to eat as healthy as possible right now you can get the leanest ground turkey, low fat cheese and skip the mayo, as you’ll see below I am ALL about switching recipes up to make them how you want them and doing what is best for you! I hope you enjoy these cheesy stuffed peppers as much as we do!
BBQ Turkey Cheese Burger Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 1 tsp olive oil + pinch of salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- I used a cheddar blend
- 1 cup cooked rice
- I use an instant steamer bag for this
- 4 tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp mayo
- Preheat oven to 350′.
- Slice bell peppers in half long ways, scoop out seeds and insides of pepper and arrange open side up on a baking sheet.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and diced onion, cook for a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and onion starts to carmelize.
- Add in ground meat and a pinch of salt & pepper,. Break up and continue to stir until meat is cooked all the way through. If a lot of excess water/fat cooks out of your meat, drain it a little when done.
- Pour cooked meat into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add in your cooked rice ~ if you’re using an instant steam bag like I did go ahead and microwave it now to steam/soften it and add in 1 cup to meat.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese + 3 tbsp bbq sauce. (You will use remainder of both of these later).
- Stir up until evenly combined and then spoon into peppers, packing tightly.
- Bake peppers for 25 minutes, remove from oven.
- Add a pinch of your extra shredded cheese and sprinkle over each pepper.
- Bake another 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- While cheese is melting, mix together your 1 remaining tbsp bbq sauce & mayo.
- Remove peppers from oven, drizzle on sauce and enjoy!
- Use any ground meat you prefer
- Don’t like onion? Skip it.
- Use your favorite shredded cheese, whatever YOU prefer on your burgers! I like cheddar or a shredded mexican blend with BBQ sauce!
- Use white or brown rice, whatever you have, or even quinoa if you prefer.
- I used approx 1/4 cup of the cheese to sprinkle on top, want them extra cheesy? More is fine!
- I used a bbq mayo mix for drizzle, omit or use whatever you would prefer!