Yes, that’s right, I said overnight breakfast. You know what that means? You get to wake up, pop this in the oven & serve a great breakfast with zero morning time prep work. It is so easy to put this together the day or night before you want to bake it and get all your prep work and dishes out of the way so you can just enjoy your morning. I particularly love this recipe for holiday mornings. You’ve got enough to worry about on holidays like focusing on your main meal of the day and spending time with family so anything you can do the day before is always helpful! I also love overnight breakfasts because let’s be honest, if you’re having any sort of party out or at your house, a stress free comfort food breakfast will be real nice to wake up to, especially if you had one too many cocktails the night before. Whatever your occasion this is sure to be a family favorite…. I mean what’s not to love about cheesy egg & potato all combined together?!
Overnight Cheesy Hashbrown & Egg Casserole
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb ground pork breakfast sausge
- 1 small white or yellow onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 30 oz. bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- Salt & Pepper
- Add your breakfast sausage to a skillet and cook over medium heat. When there is only a little pink showing left in the meat add in your diced onion & pepper and continue to saute until meat is fully cooked and vegetables soften up a little. (If you hate onion or pepper, leave them out – it will turn out just fine).
- While meat & veggies are cooking add your eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined. You can use a stand mixer or whisk by hand.
- Add whipping cream and about a tsp. each of salt & pepper to your eggs and whisk again.
- Add cooked meat/veggie mix into egg mixture and stir everything together.
- Add in 1 + 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar & your 30 oz. bag of hash browns. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Grease / spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish and pour your breakfast mix in, spreading evenly through the pan. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup of cheddar on top.
- Cover baking dish in foil, saran wrap, or a lid and set in the fridge, leave overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350′ one hour before you are ready to eat. Bake casserole (uncovered) 45-60 minutes. (Check at 45 to see if done or if it looks like it needs a few more minutes, this will cook slightly differently depending on your oven)!. Remove from oven, and let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving to allow everything to cool and set.
Since finding your recipe, I have made this several times. My family loves it! Makes Sunday mornings easy for me. First time,, I followed recipe, then I started to mix it up for a variety. I have used sausage, ham and bacon and added spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes, I do use milk now for the convenience of not always having the cream on hand, I also have used different kind of cheeses and used less cheese simply because I ran low lol. Today we are having it with the ham, fresh spinach, onion and cheese.I love it, took me less than 10 minutes to make last night, and any left overs kids will eat tomorrow. 🙂 – Christine
Made this for Christmas morning today. Big hit!
Only change was didn’t have a pablano so used a can of diced chilies and 1/2 diced orange bell pepper. Required about 70 mins cook time. Delicious and will make again. -Michelle
Made this this am for an early Christmas Eve breakfast. Everyone loved it. No onions or peppers. Tomorrow I’m making it extra cheesy, no onion, no sausage, no pepper. This is sooo easy and sooo good! – Janet
I did slightly different. I saved half the hash browns and put on top with the cheese to get a crispy crust on top. Was excellent. -Karen
I make this at nite and then divvy up for breakfast for work. -KayCraze