These flour tortilla chips are so good and so easy! Although we’re not making the tortilla from scratch on this recipe, just baking up the chips yourself is a fun alternative to grocery store bought and a great way to use up excess tortillas in your house. The key here is to find fresh tortillas that are as small enough in diameter so your chips are a good size. The rest is easy peasy!
It is important to note that these aren’t as thin and crispy as store bought chips, the thickness of the tortilla will stay as is from pre-baking. These will still feel fluffy although crisp when eating. I love these just simply with some salsa or guacamole for a fresher tasting snack that has avoided deep frying at any point in time! I don’t provide quantities for the tortillas, because you can make as little or much as you want on this one. Just don’t make too much as these are best served fresh or within a couple days if stored in a sealed bag to avoid getting stale. Enjoy!
Baked Flour Tortilla Chips
- small flour tortillas
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375'.
- Cut each tortilla into fourths or eighths depending on how small tortillas are and how big you want chips to be. Easily stack multiple tortillas to cut more than one at a time.
- Spread out the chips on a baking pan. You may need to use 2 baking pans, or just bake in batches if you're making a lot.
- Use a basting brush, or drizzle olive oil over tortillas and use your hands to evenly cover chips in a very thin layer of olive oil.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top, however much you desire.
- Bake approx. 8-14 minutes. Keep an eye on the chips and remove when you see some starting to get golden brown edging, depending on your oven and sheet being used as well as thickness of tortillas purchased this could take more or less time so it's best to just keep a close eye. You can always taste test one and bake a couple more minutes if desired!